1. Convey the brand image
Choose a domain which can represent the business or personal image at its best. Short names are usually the best choice. You also have to consider that the most popular names are often already registered and their cost will probably be too high comparing to the revenue of the site.
Let's write down a list of adjectives that can describe your activity, matching them with the name of the most representative product for your business. This can be one of the best solutions to catch the best name for your domain.
For example: if we run a publishing house, we might consider for matching:
- Adjectives- such as cheap, easy to use, worthwhile, inexpensive, advantageous, affordable, handy
- - and products’ names- such as books, ebooks, comics
- As a result potential domain names (not verified): easybooks.com, cheapbooks.it, easycomics.net, handyebook.com
2. Choose a short and easy name
Il nostro consiglio è di non inserire un prodotto tipico all'interno del nome dominio, cosa che risulta spesso limitativa e castrante (per esempio se dovessi decidere di espandere il tuo mercato in futuro). Nonostante sia una tendenza in parte ancora diffusa, i nomi keyword-based
(come ad esempio libri-online.it
) stanno cedendo il passo a quelli "brandizzati
", cioè non necessariamente correlati alla natura del sito (ad esempio blog.tagliaerbe.com
, che è uno dei maggiori e più importanti blog di Web Marketing a dispetto del nome).
You should normally avoid:
- acronyms or initials (considered too brief)
- names that are too long or colloquial (thisisadomainyoushouldreallyavoid.com)
- domains mixing different languages because they hard to interpret and understand
- numbers, usually hard to remember apart from very special cases
3. Legal aspects
The legal issues to consider as you register a domain are essentially two:
it is not reccomended
- Can the chosen domain be protected against improper use by competitors?
- Can my competitors or another company claim damages for using this name?
to register domain names similar to famous brands, like "Google" or "Apple". There is, however, no law that forbids this use at the moment .
4. Type of Extension (TLD)
Choosing the right extension for your domain may be a crucial aspect.
You can choose to refer to the geographic region where your business is located .it
or just choose the .eu
domain, which can be freely registered by anyone.
You can use the .biz, for corporate websites, and the .info, for providing information and updates regarding a specific event, or even .name for a personal website.
Want to register your domain?Choose a generic extension or stand out with the new gTLD extensions. Do you feel more confident?
Now that you know everything about the domain extensions, it's time for action. You are ready to register or transfer your web domain.